Thanksgiving week is here! This year, we're going to see a mostly quiet period, with minimal travel impacts in Connecticut. As GP discussed in his prior forecast, we're locked into a colder than normal pattern for now. The models have waffled on the duration of the pattern, but we do see some signals of a generally below normal temperature pattern for the foreseeable future.
It's a cold and breezy start across the state and it'll be the coldest day of the season so far! Temperatures are currently in the 30s statewide with wind chills in the 20s for most. Temperatures won't budge much today and tonight may bring the coldest lows of the season so far. Plenty of sun, not much warmth to be had.
Tomorrow looks similar to today, with daytime temperatures a few degrees warmer. It'll still be sunny and seasonably cold, with highs in the 40s. Travel conditions look great not just across Connecticut but across most of the US.
Turkey day actually looks like the warmest day of the week! That said, we won't be seeing a torch on that day. Thanksgiving looks mostly sunny with highs near normal. Perfect for backyard football games and opening the windows to let the heat from the kitchen out! We will see increasing clouds toward the evening, but I don't expect any travel problems in the state.
We'll see temperatures in the upper 40s to low 50s. By the end of the day we'll be watching unsettled weather to our west, but again, I do not anticipate travel issues Thursday evening.
This looks like the unsettled day of the week, as a storm system and strong cold front passes through the region. The storm system doesn't look particularly strong, but if you're flying out on Friday there could be some delays if things trend stronger. It's not something I'd be worried about, just something to casually watch. For driving, things should be fine, as rainfall is likely going to be in the morning. It will be breezy as colder air comes in.
Colder air will advect into the state during the afternoon, and if there is any moisture left over, we could see some snowflakes in the air. It's a low chance, and I don't expect any accumulation, but don't be surprised if you see a few flakes, especially in NW CT. I'd watch out in the Berkshires of western Mass however for potential accumulation.
We quickly clear out after Friday's system, and the cold comes right back in. Some of the guidance brings in a trailing low that, while not depicted above, could bring some snow showers or flurries on Saturday. Still, not expecting any travel issues in CT. Both Saturday and Sunday look cold, breezy, and nice, with highs in the upper 30s to low 40s. It'll feel like winter is right around the corner.
Tuesday: Sunny, breezy, and seasonably cold. Highs in the upper 30s to low 40s.
Wednesday: Sunny and seasonably cold. Highs in the low to mid 40s.
Thanksgiving Day: Mostly sunny with increasing clouds late. Highs in the low to mid 50s.
Friday: Mostly cloudy early with a chance of rain, then decreasing clouds with a slight chance of snow showers inland. Highs in the mid to upper 40s with temperatures dropping during the afternoon. Chance of rain 80%. Chance of snow (inland) 20%.
Saturday: Sunny, breezy, and cold. Slight chance of snow showers. Highs in the mid to upper 30s. Chance of snow showers 20%.
Sunday: Sunny, breezy, and cold. Highs in the mid to upper 30s.
As always, please like, share, and interact with us on our social media--on Facebook to share our discussions, and follow us on Twitter @southernctwx to retweet our posts. Hit the buttons below to join.
Thank you for reading SCW.